Thursday, May 31, 2012

Liver McNuggets

This recipe has become a weekly Thursday night tradition at my house. I pretty much cobbled this together from various Google searches for liver recipes and the first time my wife tried it she said, "Ooh! Yummy! It's like Liver McNuggets!"

Liver was one of those items that I knew I should be incorporating into my diet but like most, I never found it terribly appealing. Now I find myself craving it by the time Thursdays roll around. So try it out, add your own twist and let me know what you think.

Ingredients
1 lb beef liver
1/2 cup potato flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup bacon grease

Give the liver a quick rinse and drain off the water. Don't be tempted to rinse it too much as it is pretty delicate at this point.
Gently lay down the slices between layers of paper towels. Cut the slices in to smaller pieces. I usually aim for 5-6 pieces per slice. More is fine but it's a bit more work.

I know, I know. So far this doesn't look appetizing at all and I usually have to grit my teeth to get through this part. 


Mix together the potato flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Then lay each piece in the bowl, one at a time, and give it a shake until it is completely coated. Then fish it out and set it on a plate.

Don't make the mistake of trying to throw several pieces in in at once. They'll glue together into a big, sticky mess. Trust me, I tried.

 At this point, your fingertips will probably be covered in a sticky paste that will take some intense scrubbing to remove. Don't worry, the worst part is over with now.

Here's the whole batch, coated in potato flour. See, it's beginning to look better already.
Heat enough bacon grease in a skillet to cover the bottom with a thin layer. You're not trying to drown the pieces but you want to have enough in the pan to make sure it's not running dry.

Work in small batches and sear the liver for 2 minutes per side. Keep a very close eye on the temperature. You do not want it to be smoking hot or spattering like crazy. You're aiming for a gentle sizzle. This is usually between 3 and 4 on my electric range.


Here's the finished product, served up with some roasted potatoes and homemade mayonnaise.

I'll admit that this may not be the optimum, healthiest way of preparing liver but I'm willing to bet that it's far more nutritious than a serving of Chicken McNuggets.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment